Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test — the highest-rated, most accurate on the market — enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the world’s only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embark’s Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the role:
On the Ancestry team, you will work to improve and maintain the science and bioinformatics pipeline underlying Embark’s breed and ancestry products. This pipeline transforms raw genetic data into a dog’s breed mix and ancestry, doggy relatives, and more. It must run efficiently, reliably, and at a massive scale on AWS. You will work closely with other Scientists, Engineers, and Product Managers to solve important scientific problems and develop the next generation of breed and ancestry products. This year, the team will:
- Bring to life new and exciting scientific ideas to improve Embark’s best in class Breed and Ancestry products.
- Evolve Embark’s science and bioinformatics pipelines to enable Embark to continue to scale exponentially.
- Compound the delightful experiences we provide to our highly rated products.
What you’ll do:
- Gain a working knowledge of the science underlying Embark’s breed and ancestry products
- Act as a scientific liaison to Embark’s Customer Support team
- Work with scientists, customer support agents, and content creators to craft informative responses to scientific questions
- Gather, process, and analyze data under supervision of other scientists
- Aggregate and analyze customer feedback to provide insights that will drive product and software development goals
What experience we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Genetics, Biology, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, or a related field
- Coursework or experience with population genetics
- Comfortable translating complex scientific and/or technical concepts into easy to understand, actionable information
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Coding and data analysis experience in Python and/or R preferred
- Experience with customer-centric products preferred
- Passion for dogs and genetics
What we can offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but we’re passionate about people too. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- Working with the world's largest team of PhDs, DVMs and engineers focused on canine genomics and devoted to making the next generation of discoveries and technologies that will make the lives of dogs today and in the future longer and healthier
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid maternal and paternal leave (plus paw-ternity leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office in downtown Ithaca, NY (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (eg work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation — every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.