Wistia is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team! This role is a great opportunity to work closely with a thoughtful, creative, and collaborative team working on exciting products that make business more human with video.
You’ll work on Wistia’s newest product offerings in an effort to expand our platform into new areas of video. You will also play a major role in guiding our solutions and technology choices. You’ll work in our modern tech stack with React, ES6, GraphQL, Ruby, and Go while building on our collection of platform services.
- Collaborate cross-functionally (primarily with research, design, and product) to understand the needs of the customer and deliver a simple and easy-to-use solution.
- Work comfortably across front-end and back-end development. We mainly use Ruby on Rails and React for our application stack, but will continue to expand on our existing Go infrastructure for performance-intensive portions of our products. We do not expect engineers to know all of our particular frameworks or languages, but a desire to learn is essential.
- Balance technical considerations with product and business thinking. You aim for the best value, not for perfection.
- Ship features to deliver value to customers under the constraints of a profitable business where long-term company thinking is a core value.
- Work with engineers across teams on more complex features, for mentoring and knowledge-sharing, to support and care for the Wistia systems, and sometimes just for fun!
- You have 3+ years of experience as a full-stack product engineer. You enjoy working up and down the stack.
- You are a collaborator. Whether through pair programming, a whiteboard session, or a casual lunch conversation, collaboration helps the best ideas and practices proliferate.
- You have strong communication skills. Each of us has only part of the overall picture in our head at a given time. Explaining ideas at an understandable level of abstraction is critical to achieving a shared vision.
- You're empathetic and emotionally intelligent. Sometimes things don't go smoothly. A customer gets frustrated, or a coworker does something that bothers you. Understanding where others are coming from, and being in control of and deliberate about how you respond to them, empowers you to solve problems while also being supportive of and sensitive to those around you.
- You write clean and understandable code. We write code for each other and for our future selves. Code that is clear and tested sets us up for speed, reliability, and a more enjoyable development experience.
- You know your fundamentals. Fads and frameworks come and go. We’re less worried that you know the Next Hot Thing™ than that you feel comfortable with the underlying data structures, algorithms, languages, and protocols that make web applications work.
- You are comfortable thinking about trade-offs. Some decisions will always have a downside. Do we want our distributed database to be more consistent, or more available? Should we use a hosted product that will save us time now, but force us to move to a new system in a year? These are regular conversations!
- You value simplicity. Blaise Pascal once wrote, "I'm sorry I wrote you such a long letter; I didn't have time to write a short one." Making things simple and elegant is deceptively difficult, but it’s worth the effort because the result is easier to understand and work with.
- Experience with browser-based video controls, and native media players.
- Understanding of WebRTC
- Experience with ffmpeg
- Experience with Go
We try to ensure Wistia is an inclusive and diverse place where everyone feels happy, fulfilled, respected, comfortable, and welcome. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We care a lot, so our benefits are actually benefits, not just the fun stuff like swag and snacks in the office (though we also have lots of those too!).
We know the biggest investment we can make is in our employees, so we provide:
- A great compensation package
- 401k with 3% company contribution, regardless of whether you contribute
- Flexible hours
- Fully paid healthcare coverage for you and your family (including dental) and a healthcare FSA
- Up to 16 weeks paid family leave
- Flexible vacation and sick leave
- Transportation subsidies
Wistia is a hybrid in-person/remote company. Engineers can work from our beautiful office in Cambridge, MA, or anywhere in the continental US.