A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded nine years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
Design is one of Lever’s core competencies (we teach every employee design thinking principles during their first week) and as a Senior Product Designer on the team, you’ll lead the way. We believe that bringing well-designed user experiences to the workplace will be the key to displacing the stale and broken status quo of enterprise software. Built from the ground up with user-centered design methodology and principles, Lever is the only hiring software that is mobilizing entire companies to effortlessly collaborate on hiring.
As a Senior Product Designer, you will leverage your expertise to tackle design challenges across the board. Understanding our users is core to our process, and we prioritize user testing and feedback with customers throughout the design process. We’re looking for a designer who has an eye for visual aesthetics, who cares about solving problems for users in close partnership with our engineering team while building features that will truly delight.
We’re building a world-class, product-first organization and assembling the right team to begin scaling aggressively. This is an opportunity for someone who wants to be part of something impactful and transformative and will play a critical role in driving Lever’s success. This is also the perfect fit for someone who craves leading design projects that range from feature improvements or additions to explorations with high ambiguity that demand innovation.
Our Design team is a small, but mighty, group of generalists who have a breadth of skill sets and experiences to learn from. Our team of three is exceptionally collaborative, thoughtful, and passionate about user-centered design. You’ll work with this team to design based on principles and insights, joining our mission to help the world hire with conviction and connect talent to meaningful work.
THE SKILL SET
- 7+ years of professional experience in a Design role preferably within B2B/enterprise solutions or relevant Product-driven company
- Exposure to leading Design team of a major product area
- Experience shipping products and features that were impactful to business success
- Breadth of experience in the product development process, from problem definition to detailed UI and visual design
- Several years of experience collaborating with designers, PMs, engineers, and cross-functionally partnering with teams across the company
- Proficiency in iterating at low-fidelity with sketches and wireframes of workflows and in translating those into high-fidelity using tools like Sketch or Figma
- Ability to create prototypes at various fidelities and levels of interactivity
- Past experience designing digital products and systems and have helped shipped products, ideally in the SaaS/B2B space
- Clear communicator of design work and of rationale behind it that is backed up with user research or data
- Self starter who can embrace ambiguity and deploy creative solutions to complex problems
- Solid understanding of how to create usable, accessible, and modular designs that scale to a large user base
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL:
- Complete Ramp Camp, our comprehensive onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on all aspects of the business with a cross-functional cohort of new Leveroos. You'll learn about our business, product, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Lever's broader organization.
- Get to know the processes, tools, and systems the design team uses
- Have one-on-ones with members of design, engineering, and product teams to learn how design fits into the product-development process
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Lead the User Experience of a major product area, owning the end-to-end design process for your area
- Participate in weekly design reviews and give feedback on other team members’ in-progress work
- Deeply understand our users and their needs through leading a user research session. You’ll talk directly with recruiters, coordinators, and hiring managers to learn about the challenges they face
- Learn about the customer journey by observing sales and customer success interactions. You’ll become familiar with the personas in the buying process and that use the product, and what their backgrounds and needs areKnow every corner of our app. You’ll get a sense of our strengths and identify opportunities for improvement
- Design, launch, and measure the impact of an improvement to an existing feature. You’ll understand the current state of the functionality and the unmet need; explore ways to iterate and build on what is there; and converge on the best solution given what you’ve learned
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Research, design, and launch a product feature from start to end as the primary design owner. You will lead and execute the design phase and partner with product and engineering to ensure that the right MVP is built and launched.
- Collaborate with marketing to translate design insights into compelling product marketing in the form of naming, sales training, feature announcements, blog posts, etc.
- With product, report on the outcomes of one of your product launches to the product team. You will discuss how well goals and hypotheses were met, and what learnings to use in the next iteration.
- Mentor and coach team members to help develop design, professional, and interpersonal skills
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Own and drive the definition and design of a major R&D product initiative. Translate company vision and product strategy into high-confidence and innovative new product development
- Be able to advocate/defend the design view of what is right to others in the organization—even if it comes to conflict/disagreement with CEO—with professionalism, maturity, and a balanced, holistic view of any competing viewpoints
- Proactively identify and unblock knowledge sharing and communication challenges to unlock a scalable design organization
- Educate, mentor and train team members across the entire company on design methodology and philosophy
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
Sign up to stay in touch, we’ll let you know when we have new positions on the team.
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
#LI-NL1 #LI-REMOTE #BI-REMOTE
Apply to this job
Typical includes :
- Recruiter phone screen
- Hiring Manager phone screen
- Panel 1 (meet with the team and some cross functional team members)
- Panel 2 (may include a presentation and final interviews with the hiring manager and recruiter)