Smartcar is on a mission to make it easy for everyone to use the apps and services they love with their car. We build developer-friendly APIs which makes it easy for businesses to integrate their products with vehicles of any brand using a single integration.
Founded in 2015, Smartcar has raised $36M from Andreessen Horowitz, New Enterprise Associates, and Energize Ventures. We are now the leading developer platform for mobility businesses across North America and Europe serving amazing customers including brands like British Petroleum (BP), Turo, NRG, and more.
Innovative mobility companies use our API platform to verify mileage, issue digital car keys, manage EV charging schedules, monitor fleets, and much more.
As a Sr. Software Engineer at Smartcar, you will have the opportunity to work directly on the development and maintenance of the Smartcar API, as well as influence the direction of the product by working closely with our Sales and Customer Success teams.
In this role you will report directly to Gurpreet Atwal who is our Director of Engineering for the Platform team.
All of our openings are remote within California. We’d love for you to join us!
- Expand the Smartcar API by building support for more capabilities across more vehicles
- Improve the Smartcar API by building and maintaining platform-wide features
- Collaborate with other engineers through code reviews, pair programming, and project planning sessions
- Plan and set of timelines for new projects
- Work cross-functionally to understand the scope and priority of features being built
- Implement metrics instrumentation and error tracking into all new features to measure their usage and reliability
- Verify feature usage through testing in local, staging, and production environments
- Thoroughly test features using automated and manual testing
- Triage bugs discovered by error tracking and performance monitoring software
- Coach and mentor new and existing engineers
Who You Are
- 3-7 years experience building web applications or backend systems
- Experience using modern back-end frameworks such as Express (Node.js), Ruby on Rails (Ruby), Spring (Java), or Django (Python)
- Ability to balance shipping features quickly with building them properly
- Experience with AWS networking, IAM and databases, and infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform
Compensation and Benefits Package
- Base salary determined by years of experience: $130,000 - $159,000
- Remote work within CA
- Health, Dental and Vision covered at 90% for all plans and 80% coverage for dependents, which amounts to approximately $11,000 a year
- 401K matching at 4%
- Unlimited PTO
- Wellness stipend of $50 a month
- Cell phone and Internet stipend of $50 a month
- $300 yearly learning and development stipend
- $350 work-from-home stipend
- 8 weeks of 100% paid parental leave with a 1-week half day ramp back time and a 5 week Freshly subscription
- 10 days of paid bereavement leave
- We currently offer sponsorship opportunities for this role
Smartcar is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to reach out, in confidence, to mathilde@smartcar with how we can help make your interview process as comfortable as possible and how we can provide reasonable accommodations.
Apply to this job